“The process is a tool, not a purpose. It should facilitate the work, not be the work”. – Author Unknown
When developing processes, we usually look at the current state first. When redefining the process, it is often difficult for individuals to let go of the past. While they recognize the need for change, it is hard to change the way work is currently being conducted. It is familiar and safe to continue conducting business in the same manner.
Usually, there is recognition that the process is inefficient . There are steps that are no longer necessary. When the question is asked as to why certain steps exist in the process, it is common to hear that steps were created due to one incident that happened several years ago. Most likely, these steps can be removed.
If we use the 80/20 rule, the process should cover 80% of the scenarios that commonly occur in the normal course of business. Adding additional steps to cover the remaining 20% is usually costly and it does not provide the appropriate level of value to justify the additional time and effort.
Processes should be lightweight and easily understood. As noted in the quote above, they should “facilitate the work, not be the work”.